Tips For Preparing Your Home For Sale
- Tidy up the grounds, porches and garage. Keep the lawn trimmed and edged. Make sure that your yard is clean. First impressions count!
- Your front door adds to that first impression - be sure it is scrubbed or repainted if necessary.
- Wash windows and clean/dust window coverings.
- If any decorating or painting is needed (especially in the kitchen), do it now! Twenty dollars worth of paint will make a much larger difference in the sales price.
- Bathrooms help sell homes. Make this room sparkle.
- Illumination is like a welcome sign. Replace bulbs and turn on the lights.
- Wash dishes, make beds, put away clothes and straighten up.
- Keep pets out of the way during showings – many people are allergic.
- Leave the showing to the salesperson. The salesperson knows the buyer’s requirements and can best emphasize the features of your home. If possible, leave the house during a showing.
- Don’t discuss anything about the sale with a potential customer. Let your agent discuss price, terms, possession and other items concerning the sale. Your agent is qualified to bring negotiations to a favorable conclusion.
- Pack away valuables, store extra furniture, knick-knacks, guns and medicines.
Look at your home objectively. Pretend you are seeing it for the first time, through a buyer’s eyes.
Call or email me by using the short form below for recommendations on how to stage the property for presentation to prospective buyers. That is part of my expertise. I will be happy to walk through your home with you and help you “set the stage.”
Based on information from California Regional Multiple Listing Service, Inc. as of August 18th, 2017 at 1:11pm PDT. This information is for your personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties you may be interested in purchasing. Display of MLS data is usually deemed reliable but is NOT guaranteed accurate by the MLS. Buyers are responsible for verifying the accuracy of all information and should investigate the data themselves or retain appropriate professionals. Information from sources other than the Listing Agent may have been included in the MLS data. Unless otherwise specified in writing, Broker/Agent has not and will not verify any information obtained from other sources. The Broker/Agent providing the information contained herein may or may not have been the Listing and/or Selling Agent.